Saturday, October 3, 2009

Yummy yummy in my tummy

As much as I despise the cold weather and the change in seasons....I can't say the same for the meals that come along with it! This has got to be one of my favorite meals EVER! I got the recipe from my best friend Angie, so I can't take credit for it =( But I would love to share it with you, it's too delicious NOT to pass along!

Beef Stroganoff (which I refer to as "Stronnie")
*I tweak this everytime, mostly because I am the pickiest person on the planet! You don't have to, it's good either way
Ingredients:
1 1/2lbs top sirloin (I always use the pre-packaged stew meat)
1 yellow onion, chopped or pureed (medium size, baseball?, also I pureed my onion, I don't like big oniony chunks)
1 clove garlic, minced (I use 4 and puree it along with my onion)
1/2lb mushrooms (I don't use these)
1 1/4 t salt
1 1/2 t pepper
1 t paprika (it turns out pretty spicy, equivalent to 4 stars)
2 can consomme'
26 oz beef broth

Cube meat
Put oil in pot and heat on high
Brown meat and remove grease
Remove meat
Add onions and garlic, saute'
When brown add mushrooms, seasons and broth
Cook until tender
Add meat and bring to a boil
Cover and simmer 3 hours
Make gravy (see below), add slowly while stirring, and cook 10 minutes
Add 2T sour cream just before serving
Serve over egg noodles (I use whole wheat, can't notice the difference)

Gravy:
1/2 C flour
2 1/2 T Bisto (this is a brown gravy type thing, found near pancake mix)
Salt, several dashes
Pepper, several dashes
Garlic powder, 1 dash
Onion powder, 1 dash
1 C water.

Mix together and slowly add gravy to the stroganoff while constantly stirring, until you reach desired thickness! Enjoy!

*I use a crock pot for this entire meal, minus browning the meat.


5 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I'll try this next Sunday. I love doing crock pot meals on Sundays.

    Missed you so much this weekend. :( We got Ben & Jerry's last night in your honor. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definately try it. And WHOA...holy cow...I ate an ENTIRE pint of Ben and Jerry's last night too. I think it's safe to say we are destined to be together. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... looks delish. So what's Bisto? Do you think it's gluten free? I think I can do the rest gf - with a flour substitute. I heart beef stroganoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutzi, Bisto is a brown gravy mix. Definately not GF, its first two ingredients are potato starch and wheat starch. You should search for a brown gravy substitute, cuz this meal is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lyss! i love the blog! and i too LOVE Stroganoff! yum! i hope you get to continue to blog, it's so fun to get a peek of your life and your kiddos life! You are beautiful! as are your precious bundles! ~ christine

    ReplyDelete